Miami Sexual Harassment Attorney
Miami Employment Lawyer Serving South Florida
Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Title VII applies to employers with 15 or more employees, including state, federal, and local governments, employment agencies, and labor organizations.
- Title VII protects employers against:
- Unwelcome sexual advances
- Requests for sexual favors
- Other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature
This includes acts that constitute sexual harassment when this conduct explicitly or implicitly affects an individual's employment, unreasonably interferes with an individual's work performance, or creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment.
Our sexual harassment attorneys in Remer, Georges-Pierre & Hoogerwoerd, PLLC have helped many individuals who have faced sexual harassment in the workplace and beyond. If you have struggled with sexual harassment in Miami, don't go through this experience alone. Let our sexual harassment lawyers help guide and protect you. Having a sexual harassment attorney by your side during this time is important for ensuring that you have all of the support and guidance that you need. Contact our lawyers today for a free consultation, and to learn more about what we can do to help you.
What is Considered Sexual Harassment in Florida?
Sexual harassment can occur in a variety of circumstances, including but not limited to the following:
- The victim, as well as the harasser, may be a woman or a man
- The victim does not have to be of the opposite sex
- The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, an agent of the employer, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or a non-employee
- The victim does not have to be the person harassed but could be anyone affected by the offensive conduct
- Unlawful sexual harassment may occur without economic injury to or discharge of the victim
- The harasser's conduct must be unwelcome
The victim should inform the harasser directly that the conduct is unwelcome and must stop. The victim should use any employer complaint mechanism or grievance system available.
How Am I Protected Against Sexual Harassment?
When investigating allegations of sexual harassment, EEOC looks at the whole record: the circumstances, such as the nature of the sexual advances, and the context in which the alleged incidents occurred. A determination on the allegations is made from the facts on a case-by-case basis.
Prevention is the best tool to eliminate sexual harassment in the workplace. Employers are encouraged to take the steps necessary to prevent sexual harassment from occurring. They should clearly communicate to employees that sexual harassment will not be tolerated. They can do so by providing sexual harassment training to their employees and by establishing an effective complaint or grievance process and taking immediate and appropriate action when an employee complains.
An employer cannot retaliate against an individual for opposing employment practices that discriminate based on sexual harassment (filing a discrimination charge, testifying, or participating in any way in a proceeding under Title VII ). (Participation means taking part in an employment discrimination proceeding. Participation is protected activity even if the proceeding involved claims that ultimately were found to be invalid).
What To Do If You Are A Victim Of Sexual Harassment Miami
If you are facing sexual harassment at your workplace, it is critical that you take action to protect yourself and your future.
- Verbalize to the harasser that their sexual conduct is unwelcome and ask them to stop
- Speak up about the harassment to management your supervisor
- Report the harassment to human resources (HR)
- Help the employer investigate your complaint
- Approach the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- File a lawsuit against the harassment
- Document everything throughout the process
How Can A Sexual Harassment Attorney Help You In Miami?
Having an attorney by your side is important for ensuring that you have all of the support and guidance that you need during this difficult time. A sexual harassment lawyer will help to protect your rights, your future, and your reputation.
A sexual harassment attorney will help you by:
- Protect your rights
- Advocate for you
- Provide you with objective legal guidance
- Support you and offer you emotional reassurance
- Collect important evidence to support your case
- Prevent you from making costly mistakes
- Effectively negotiate on your behalf
- Fiercely represent you if your case gets taken to court
- And more
If you are a victim of sexual harassment, contact our team of sexual harassment attorneys in Miami. Let us help you navigate your case and provide you with the necessary legal advice to help support your case.